Wednesday, December 11, 2013

First.

I wake up, covered in the dark that had been my home so long... Yet something...
Something is different.
What is this thing that I see, this new feeling? This new atmosphere?
It is like the dark is starting to slide off, leaving me, a creature of dark, alone in the light. Standing, a stark contrast. And I can feel that.

I stand up, weak on my legs. I had thought before that I had moved, so why is it strange to take a step?

Had I been dreaming? Am I now awake? Is this what breathing feels like?

Or maybe this is the dream, and soon I will return to my comfortable darkness. But this feels... Real. The things I knew before do not.

I look down at myself. I am naked, and I am white. All around my feet lies the darkness, in a shroud at my feet. I reach out, touch it, pick it up... And it slides between my fingers. It looks like me, but it feels cold. Unfamiliar. I am not drawn to it as I was before, which is good as I no longer can hold it. It will not stay with me, even when I cup my hands.

Next I inspect myself. The darkness pooled at my feet is completely separate from me, and I take a shaky step away from it. It does not follow. What does follow is a long black mark that starts at my feet. It is separate from the shadows. It is part of me, like a scar or tattoo. I trace it with my finger, and something tells me that this is not the same as the darkness I had before. It has no traits, no pulls or draws. It merely bears witness of who I was, of where I was.

The world around me looks empty. It is flat and large, like an endless expanse of white with a shale floor. The white shines brightly, as though it is made of light. Perhaps it is, but when I walk over to the wall that was behind me and reach my hand out, it feels like a normal painted wall.

What is this new place? I don't know. I look back to where I was, now a simple puddle of darkness receding into the ground. Into the ground? I walk back to it, still shaky on my legs. The black is shrinking under the shale. Perhaps I too can find something under the shale?

I slip my fingers under a piece and immediately am cut. I draw my hand back quickly in shock, staring at the blood coming from my finger. It is no longer black as I had remembered. It is red, red and pure.

Who am I?

I look up, thinking to see a ceiling perhaps. But no, no ceiling here. The expanse seems to go on forever. Perhaps if I walk?

As I walk, I think about where I am. What I am. I had known before, but that was in a different place. If this is not a dream, then everything I had known about myself is different now. Rendered obsolete.

I'm not even wearing anything to cover myself here.

I don't even have a home, here...

In the distance I see something in the sky. It looks like another floor, but it has buildings. I can only see it slightly though, as through a haze. Perhaps if I keep walking, I can get to it?

And perhaps if I keep walking, I will figure out who I am..





















No comments:

Post a Comment